Thursday, December 23, 2010

Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup


This soup was so simple, and really delicious!  By making it in the crock pot, you can just toss everything into the pot in the morning, and come home to dinner ready and waiting!  I feel like it's pretty healthy too, since you don't add any salt and it's low in fat.

INGREDIENTS:

1 lb dried split peas
1.5 cups carrots, chopped
2 cups diced ham (if you're feeling lazy/in a hurry, they actually sell packages of diced ham - I'll confess, that's what I used!  But any kind of diced ham will work)
4 cups chicken broth

DIRECTIONS:

1. Combine all ingredients in the crock pot.  Make sure there's enough liquid so that everything is submerged. Add some extra water if needed.

2. Cook on low for 8-10 hours.

3. Just before serving, take a potato masher and crush some of the peas to give it a thicker consistency.

I would suggest seasoning it at the table, as desired.  I thought it tasted perfect as is!  My husband thought it needed a little pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment