Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Chicken Piccata


This dish is a-maz-ing!  Mike raved about it between bites all through dinner, and as soon as we were done, he declared it his new favorite dish!

We actually had chicken piccata for the first time at the food tasting for our wedding, and we liked it so much that we ended up choosing it as our chicken dish to serve at the wedding.  Well, this is the first time I've tried making it myself, and not to toot my own horn or anything, but...TOOT TOOT!  Don't tell our reception venue chef, but mine was WAY better!

INGREDIENTS

2 chicken breasts
1/4 cup flour
1 Tbs butter
1 Tbs olive oil
1 lemon
3/4 cup dry white wine (I ended up using Marsala because I had some in the fridge)
2 tablespoon capers
2 large cloves of garlic, minced
A few sprinkles of pepper and parsley

DIRECTIONS

1) Place chicken breasts between some plastic wrap and pound with a meat mallet until evenly thick (I always use a regular hammer for this and it works fine).

2) Heat butter and oil in a large skilled.  Dredge chicken in flour, shake off the excess, and place in hot skillet. 

3) Cook until chicken is fully cooked, about 5 minutes per side.

Note: the directions said at this point to take the chicken out of the skillet, set it aside, and then prepare the wine sauce.  I decided to just leave the chicken in the pan while I made the wine sauce, and I think doing it this way, the chicken absorbed the flavor of the sauce and is part of the reason turned out so moist and delicious.  But it's up to you...

4)  Add wine, lemon juice (I reserved two large slices of the lemon for garnish, and juiced the rest), garlic and capers to the skillet.  Keep it at a low boil.  Scrape up bits from the bottom of the pan as it cooks.  Keep cooking until the liquid reduces to a nice thick sauce.

5)  Spoon wine sauce over chicken to serve.  The recipe suggested serving it over pasta - I chose couscous instead.  It was pretty awesome that way, so I'd highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment