Monday, February 14, 2011

Turtles


In honor of Valentines Day, here's a recipe for some easy homemade candy turtles.  Because nothing says love like a box full of nutty caramel chocolate delights named after everyone's favorite reptile!  So romantic. :)

INGREDIENTS

Big bag of pecans halves
Caramel squares
Chocolate for melting (I usually grab a bag of this stuff at a craft store; I've heard chocolate chips mixed with a little shortening works too, although I've never tried it that way)

DIRECTIONS

1) Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.  Line cookie sheets with aluminum foil, shiny side up.

2) Arrange 3 pecans with a piece of caramel on top.  The directions said to put them into a Y shape, but I was decided to make triangles instead.  Just 'cause.

3) Bake for about 9-10 minutes until the caramel is melted.
I should mention that I left mine in until they were completely melted, which took about 11-12 minutes.  But the caramel turned out to be kind of hard when they they were done, and I suspect that might be why.  So my advice is to take them out when they're about half melted, just until the caramel starts oozing around the pecans.

4) My pecans had kind of spread out all over the place, so using 2 forks, I kind of shoved them back together.  Then you melt the chocolate in the microwave per the package instructions and spoon over the candies.

5) You can put them in the fridge for about 30 minutes to cool down and set the chocolate.  Although I suggest you wait until they're closer to room temperature to eat so they aren't so hard.

Happy Valentines Day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment